Moving into the Autumn here’s a recipe that will appeal to organic and vegetarian aficionados! So very simple but so very filling!
Probably not that great for you calorie-wise (but if you are looking at potatoes and cheese combos – throw calories out the window – no point worrying about it!). I got this from my Welsh mum – but I am not sure it’s actually a Welsh recipe. Everything is measured by amount and by preference.
About 20 -25 peeled potatoes
About 200- 450g of cheese (any kind depending on your preference)
1/2 onion – chopped finely
1-2 cloves garlic ( or 10 if you really want to clean out your arteries from all the cheese)
- Boil and mash the potatoes
- Heat oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
- Grate the cheese into a separate bowl
- Fold in the onion and garlic (optional)
- Fold into mashed potatoes gradually – try to avoid large clumps.
The hot potatoes will probably melt the cheese.
- Put the mixture into a couple of ceramic dishes (2.25 qts/2.5L) or whatever you have (loaf pans would work)
- Depending on your preference – add sliced cheese on top of the mixture and/or sliced tomatoes
- bake for a good 1/2 – 3/4 hour or until you have a wonderful smell coming out of you oven and the cheese is melted and crispy on the top
Organic baked beans -the british way (well.ca), some kind of organic green or just by itself.